There are a lot of big problems that seem to be facing the world today: climate change, the Global Financial Crisis, threats of terrorism, a rise in violence on the streets, shortage of natural resources, overpopulation, racism, aging population.
Some of these are a perception problem and some are really facing us. I’m not going to argue which is which here because that’s not the point of this article.
So many things seem to be wrong with the world, society and humanity that it’s tempting to be overwhelmed.
“I’m just one person – what can I do?” you might ask.
You can do your little bit in your own little way.
Sure you should run for public office or work your way to be the head of the appropriate corporation if you have the desire & talent. But for those of us that are “just little old me”, we can still have a massive effect on how this whole mess turns out.
Rather than be overwhelmed, you can make changes in your own life. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. You only have control over your own actions, so take back control of them.
Some ways you can “be the change you want to see in the world today”:
- Think about your water use – do you leave the tap running while you brush your teeth? Does your lawn really need that much watering? Do you fill the sink to wash the dishes or do it in running water?
- Food – do you consistently make or buy too much food and throw half of it away? Do you order the large serving when you know you’re only going to eat part of it?
- Money – are you careful with your money or do you have the highest interest rate credit card, terrible terms on your mortgage & a low rate on your savings account? Do you buy crap that you don’t need to impress people you don’t like? Do you have the wrong phone or internet plan where you go over and get hit with fees every month? Do you give regularly to charity or otherwise help people less well off than you?
- Conversations – look at your own biases, jokes and conversations. Are you helping to keep racism alive? Do you build people up in your conversations or tear them down? Do you gossip about which celebrity is sleeping with which?
- Safety – have you taken a first aid course? Are you prepared for emergencies? How are your self defense skills – could you take care of yourself if attacked? Can you protect your loved ones?
- Do you get your vehicle serviced regularly? Is it a gas guzzler or can you sell it and get something that’s more fuel efficient?
- Do you make your significant other feel loved? How about your children, parents, siblings & friends?
There are lots of other things you can do to change your life and the lives of those around you for the better. Just being more aware is a great start.
If everyone makes small changes, the world will be a far better place. However, don’t worry whether or not anyone else is doing their part. You can only control how you respond, so focus on that.
People will see the changes you’re making and the effect you’re having on your own life and respond in their own way. Hopefully by changing their own way of thinking and living, but whether or not they do is none of your concern.
Please share this on Twitter, Facebook, G+, by email and wherever else you hang out. I wrote this to help myself be more conscious of my actions, but it is a message for everyone.